Who? - A collaborative chain story (is that the right phrase?)

Back in February this year I decided to write the opening to a story on the Geek Syndicate forums and leave it open for others to come along and build the story with me.  There were only two rules:
  1. Be true to what others had written before; you just can't dismiss something because it doesn't fit where you thought things were going.
  2. Leave two posts between your last post and your next one to allow others to play.
This was one of the strangest and most obsessive things of my life.  I knew where I wanted this story to go but saw it lurch from side to side, twisting and turning like a cornered snake.  All this was to the good as the story went in directions I had never envisaged and became so much better for it.  I kept logging in to see if someone had added anything new, desperate to see where we were headed now on the good ship Who?; destination unknown.  When my turn came it allowed me to practice my writing in a safe environment, letting me flex my writer's muscle. The interesting thing is that we, the authors, never spoke to each other about the story until after the last entry.

The end result, after four months, was what I believe to be a good, strong story and also a little window into the minds of each writer. So it leaves me to thanks my collaborators; Dion, Paul and Keehar, and to lay the story out in its entirety here. I'll mark which piece each author wrote for clarity.  Enjoy and do comment and let me know your thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Prediction - shall we dance one last time?

The Prediction - getting the chills

The Prediction - It's getting hot in here!